Position: Research Officer
Location: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Contract: 1 year with 3 months probation with a possibility of extension based on performance Job ID#: RSO0015
Forcier is a dynamic research consultancy firm operating across Africa since 2011, and in Somalia since 2012. Our core services include research, capacity building training, and strategic planning for development actors, governments, and private sector clients operating in post-conflict contexts and challenging environments. Forcier currently works in South Sudan, Sudan, Somalia, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Mozambique, and Sierra Leone and is supported by its administrative, financial, and training headquarters in Cairo, Egypt.
Job Description: The Research Officer is responsible for managing ongoing field studies throughout the country and leading teams of local researchers on a range of subjects. Research Officers are responsible for all phases of project implementation, which includes drafting inception reports and research tools, training researchers, managing project finances, analysing both quantitative and qualitative data, and drafting final reports.
Our ideal candidate is a strong team player, self-starter, and keen learner, eager to take on tasks outside his/her comfort zone, and has the ability to multi-task effectively, manage multiple projects at once, and can respectfully engage with clients and fellow staff members from different cultural backgrounds. We are looking for someone who will go above and beyond to make sure deadlines are met and deliverables are of the highest quality, which sometimes means long hours and working weekends. You are also willing to lend a hand to your colleagues and help others meet their deadlines when they are in a bind.
This is a full-time position based in our Hargeisa, Somaliland office. The Research Officer reports to the Research Manager.
Description of Main Duties:
- Conduct literature reviews, draft concept notes and inception reports, and gather relevant background information as necessary;
- Draft quantitative and qualitative data collection tools for projects covering a range of subject matters;
- Develop budgets and staffing plans, and monitor their effective execution; Collaborate with local staff and manage teams in the fAnalyse
- Analyse qualitative and quantitative, and lead report writing;
- Provide support and training to other Forcier staff;
- Communicate with clients on project implementation and timelines, as necessary;
- M.A. degree (or equivalent) in international affairs/development, political science, or a related field with 2+ years of work experience, OR B.A. degree (or equivalent) in international affairs/development, political science, or a related field with 5+ years of work experience;
- At least 1 year of experience (professional or academic) conducting quantitative and/or qualitative data analysis;
- Experience collecting quantitative or qualitative data will be considered an asset;
- At least 1 year of project management experience;
- Prior experience managing budgets and project timelines preferred;
- Basic knowledge of SPSS or Stata required;
- Experience collaborating with and managing diverse, multi-cultural teams preferred;
- Eagerness to learn and be pushed into new areas, and ability to learn from mistakes;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Ability to produce high-quality work under tight deadlines;
- Willingness to work long hours when needed;
- Creativity and an ability to think outside the box to conceptualise projects and implementation strategies;
- Prior experience living and working abroad, preferably in a developing country;
- Cultural sensitivity;
- A sense of humour and comfort with ambiguity;
- Fluency in written and spoken English.