Programme Manager (Somaliland)
HALO has worked in the self-declared independent State of Somaliland since 1999. With a growing work force of over 600 National and 4 International Staff HALO is one of the largest employers in region and conducts lifesaving activities in some of the poorest rural communities. HALO is seeking an experienced and dynamic individual to lead the programme as it continues to save lives and open access to some of the poorest rural communities in the country.
HALO is pursuing new opportunities within Somalia by leveraging its history and experience in the region by seeking to expand into associated development sectors. The successful candidate will have experience in programme transition, have a successful record of accomplishment in new business generation and development sector experiences are highly desirable.
Your primary responsibility will be to represent HALO’s mine clearance programme on all levels and with all relevant parties such as embassies, government representatives, other NGOs and agencies that HALO may interact with. Ensuring that HALO’s reputation remains strong, you will provide leadership and guidance to your programme and teams. The role will be situated in Hargeisa with requirement for travel throughout the region.
Overseeing all the programmes activities, you will ensure that all operational and contractual obligations are realised by developing close working relationships with your senior national and international management team. In addition, your role will include overseeing finance management, fleet management, procurement and logistics, security, donor proposal generation and other responsibilities associated with managing the programme.
Reporting to the Regional Director, you will be required to:
- Provide overall leadership for the HALO Programme in country, ensuring that operations are carried out safely and in line with quality assurance and contractual obligations
- Maintain and improve relationships and enhance the credibility of HALO with host governments, local officials, and other relevant agencies
- Develop and maintain donor relationships, through liaison and of donor reporting to outline progress in line with contractual requirements
- Identify and develop new funding opportunities for the programme, and support campaigns and events to raise awareness of HALO’s work with prospective donors
- Support development of grant proposals, and identify potential partnerships for programme expansion to generate additional funding streams into new sectors
- Training and development of staff to enhance skills and capabilities to support programme requirements, and career progression
- Forecast and manage the programme’s financial budget and expenditures
- Manage programme logistics and procurement with support from HQ Logistics ensuring the required equipment and assets for the programme; and develop a local network of reliable suppliers and local logistic support where appropriate
- Oversee the fleet and ensuring that the programme assets are maintained responsibly and respectfully
- Assess and implement appropriate measures to maximise the security and safety of staff, with ongoing monitoring of security and risks in country
- Update the Regional Director and HQ as required on any programme issues or developments
QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Significant proven experience in senior programme management positions
- Demonstrable experience in leading large work forces within the humanitarian (or associated) sector
- Mine action experience and relevant IMAS EOD, SAFE, HEAT and First Aid qualifications desirable but not essential
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, able to build effective working relationships with national and international staff
- English fluency and Microsoft Office literacy essential
- Ability to multi-task, plan & prioritise tasks effectively, and work calmly under pressure
- Effective team player, able to motivate and create a strong team spirit;
- Ability to work and live in potentially challenging and remote environments, and adapt and integrate in different cultures