Logistics and Security Assistant
VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: LOGISTICS AND SECURITY ASSISTANT
Organization: Adeso : African Development Solutions
Position Title: Logistics and Security Assistant
Reporting To: Procurement and Logistics Coordinator and the Program Manager
Working With: Operations, Programs and Finance Teams
Programme / Duty Station: Baidoa
Duration: Eight (8) Months
Starting Date: Immediately
Adeso, formerly known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
The purpose of the position is to provide logistical and security support to project activities in Baidoa office while supporting Bakool and Gedo offices by adhering to Adeso policies and procedures.
Based in Baidoa, under the supervision of the Program Manager and technical guidance of the Logistics Coordinator, the Logistics and Security Assistant will be a full-time member of the Adeso team and will play a crucial role in assisting the management of the Logistical and Security affairs of the project. This position is subject to funding.
The Logistics and Security Assistant will be responsible for ensuring quality in logistics support across Adeso field offices and projects. S/he will also ensure the logistics function is delivered timely, cost-effectively, with high quality and appropriate standards; and supporting field teams in achieving and maintaining minimum standards in logistics and security work.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Ensuring that procurement tracking is current and updated.
· Ensuring timely and accurate logistical reporting to the Head of Office and Logistics Coordinator.
· Ensuring timely delivery of program supplies to field sites in line with project implementation.
· Assisting in development, monitoring and review of procurement plans.
· Ensuring that all contracts with the organization are in an updated database spreadsheet and are paid on time.
· Adhering to Adeso procurement policy and specific donor requirements
Transport and Travel
· Managing and coordinating vehicles and drivers used by the team.
· Hiring additional vehicles when necessary.
· Ensuring that the drivers fill in the log sheets accurately on a daily basis.
· Arranging for road transportation of goods when necessary.
· Ensuring that vehicles are periodically scheduled for maintenance and service.
· Ensuring that all Adeso assets and equipment used in the field are properly assessed and documented (including physical location and condition) to contribute to an updated country program asset register.
· Ensuring that all documentation is completed and stored in readiness for external and internal audit requirements.
· Carrying out periodic stock checks and to provide physical count of random items in storage. To manage all paperwork related to stored items, including Stock Cards, delivery and receipt papers.
· Ensuring logistical support in event of emergency, and that all necessary advance measures have been taken.
· In coordination with ICT department, be responsible for office laptops, project cameras, satellite phones, telephones and all communication gadgets.
· Managing contracts with the internet service provider.
· Ensuring that all printers and scanners are in good working conditions.
· Providing IT support/networking support when necessary.
· Liaising with other NGOs and UN agencies on logistics issues.
· Ensuring that systems for regular maintenance or repair are implemented for vehicles and other equipment and that routine maintenance and repair of communication and office equipment (computer, radios, satellite phones, power generators) is carried out per schedule.
· Ensuring that proper tracking of equipment out for maintenance is followed.
· Providing technical supervision to drivers on matters related to safety and security.
· Acting as the security focal point for Bay, Bakool and Gedo;
· Providing all staff with regular security briefings and updates and ensuring that all staff adhere to security policies and procedures.
· Conducting regular security and risk assessments for all operational areas.
· Supervising security guards’ performance in Baidoa office.
· Ensuring that field communications needs are met and that staff are trained on the use of radios and other communication equipment as necessary.
· Liaising with local authority security agencies, UN Agencies, NGOs and other external actors to gain security information and analysis in Bay, Bakoo and Gedo regions.
· Ensuring that office running bills are paid on time.
· Regularly conducting field visits to assess the field sites complying with safety and security.
· Providing regular security updates and advice to new staff and visitor.
· Any other duties as may be assigned by the Head of Office and Logistics Coordinator.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Diploma in Supply Chain Management or its equivalent in relevant field.
· Minimum three (3) years’ experience in similar role (NGO field preferred).
· Knowledge of donor regulations will be an added advantage.
· Excellent IT skills, in particular Word, Excel and email is a must.
· Technical IT skills, such as networking and problem solving is an advantage.
· Excellent people management skills and good communicator.
· Highly organized and self-motivated.
· Ability to work under high pressure and prioritize tasks.
· High standard of written and spoken English and Somali a must.