Finance Manager (Somaliland)
from Al-Khair Foundation
Al-Khair Foundation is a UK-based international NGO providing humanitarian support, international development, emergency aid and disaster relief in some of the world’s most deprived areas. Established in 2003 and rapidly growing into one of the leading Muslim charities in the UK, Al-Khair Foundation works in different countries across Asia, Africa and the Middle East. The Foundation also looks to tackle issues prevalent in the UK, such as unemployment, education, women’s empowerment and domestic violence.
Grant and Contract Finance:
- To manage all project financial reporting matters, including the reviewing of donor invoices and preparation of donor financial reports geared at ensuring compliance with donor requirements and foundation projects.
- To manage and monitor the field office project expenses for your assigned jurisdiction including review of expenses, selection of expenses to be reviewed and provide ongoing training and guidance to local staff where relevant and necessary.
- To review invoices and prepare payments in a timely fashion for your assigned jurisdiction.
- To monitor spending performance for grants and contracts by preparing monthly spending reports and distributing as instructed to key stakeholders and following up on areas of concerns raised or highlighted.
- To manage the processing of accounts receivables, donor invoices and payments.
- To set and ensure that there is a clear and transparent system in place to follow up on areas of concerns for all matters falling under your remit.
- To manage and prepare the monthly reconciliation statements for your assigned jurisdiction.
- To ensure that robust processes are in place to continually improve and streamline the financial review and reporting process for your assigned jurisdiction.
Contracts and Administration Support:
- To advise and assist local and field business development and programme staff with key grant and contract compliance issues.
- To work on agreement modifications and/or budget revisions.
- To serve as an advisor to colleagues on matters relating to the interpretation of contract requirements.
- To work with programme staff to ensure that contract requirements are fulfilled for matters falling under your remit.
- To maintain a current knowledge of relevant contractual related procedures and practices falling under your remit.
Training/Development and Capacity Building:
- To assist finance staff, programme staff and country directors/managers with an understanding of donor compliance and reporting requirements required to safeguard compliance and drive the principles of transparency.
- To perform regional and country-specific training to colleagues where and when required.
- To manage all performance related issues for colleagues falling under your remit.
- To fulfil all accounting functions flowing from activities related to your role including, monthly close and reporting, accounts payable information, payroll information and budgeting and forecasting information.
- To prepare audit schedules and supporting documentation for the annual financial report and other audit related information.
- To develop, devise and implement accounting best practice for your assigned jurisdiction.
- To comply with all policies, procedures, legal and regulatory requirements.
- To hold a valid passport and be willing and able to travel extensively and at short notice.
- To have the flexibility to work additional hours as necessary to fulfil the requirements of the role and meet the business needs.
- To be responsible for health and safety in the area of his/her control and ensure that he/she is familiar with AKF’s health and safety at work policy.
- To respect the unique contribution of every individual and work positively in an equal opportunity and diverse environment.
- The post holder may be required to apply for a Disclosure check.
- Liaise with headquarters office in London on organisational accounting and project finance issues.
- Assist in providing oversight of, direction and capacity building to the Finance Officer with respect to accounting activities.
- Assist with special projects and various financial reporting as needed.
- Any other duties commensurate with the accountabilities of the post.
- Degree in either Economics, Finance, Accounting or related field from an accredited college or university
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in a similar role
- Advanced MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint Skills
- Prior experience with an international development organisation required
- Experience working in a start-up business environment and exhibiting the characteristics of flexibility, foresight, multi-tasking and the reaction time this requires is a plus
- Experience working for non-profit organisations is desirable
- Experience managing multiple projects concurrently
- An understanding and commitment to Equality and Diversity, Safeguarding and Health and Safety
- Very good knowledge of IT systems
- Excellent communications, networking and presentation skills in English, verbal and written
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Hands-on familiarity with a variety of accounting software, including QuickBooks.
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Good organisational and interpersonal skills.
- Confidence in drafting reports and preparing spreadsheets with a high degree of accuracy
- Ability to problem solve using own initiative
- Ability to manage complex tasks, dependable and ability to prioritise demands
- Excellent time management skills and experience of successfully achieving deadlines, and working without close supervision
- Excellent literacy and numeracy skills
- Knowledge of the Somali language is a strong asset.
- Ability to think and plan strategically
- Ability to communicate with individuals at all tiers of the business
- Ability to work under pressure to tight deadlines and adapt to change.
- Ability to work well on own initiative
- The flexibility to work additional hours as necessary to fulfil the requirements of the role and meet the business needs.
- Commit to withhold the integrity and standards of AKF and its values.